Our castle would crumble before us but that doesn’t mean it can’t be rebuilt, rebuilt for real, this time without the errors and a little more caution. ― Chirag Tulsiani
If you’re going to try, go all the way.
– Charles Bukwski
Just wanted to update the site to let you know that things aren’t at a standstill. I have at least five projects all underway at the same time. Some are coming to completetion, while others are works in progress. To name a few big ones, I had leaky fuel tanks a few months back that I wasn’t expecting so I’m in the process of making new aluminium tanks. I’m wrapping up the outboard project I started, I converted my old Evinrude 8 two stroke long shaft into a short shaft, in addition to this I have rebuilt the waterpump, new prop, and a fresh paint job. Next, I have been working on putting in a new AC/DC (the electricity not the band) panel which has required some modification to the old panel cabinet door. Next, I have been diligently working on the lithium battery pack installation for some time and will be making the battery box and wiring the bank up. And the last of the big five is requreing the 12V electrical system inside the boat with new wires for fans and new LED lap fixtures.
All of these projects are well underway, as of right now, I have one tank made up with tack welds to be dry fitted in the boat before it gets welded to ensure we did a good job witht he plastic template and it fits. Then to make the other tank and have them fully welded inside and out with two baffles. The outboard is 95% complete, just needs a few nick nacks like the decals and a emergency stop switch installed on it. I’m in the process of getting the panel screwed to the door, and putting the piano hinge back on to be able to mount it back on the boat to begine the wiring process. The battery box for the lithium batteries will be made while I’m cutting the panels for the fuel tanks. Going to get the hardware for that today to hold them together and fastened to the boat.
I have a little less than two weeks left to finish some of these projects up. I will post up some updates as it comes. Have a good week friends!
Electrical Fun: Vol. 1
What do I know about batteries? I’ll first start off telling you of my vast “knowledge” of electricity so you know how big of a grain of salt to swallow while … Continue reading Electrical Fun: Vol. 1
Work flow: What do our props look like?
I shot some video for our stern z-drive thrusters on the Agnes Candies. The Agnes is a 300′ offshore support vessel providing supplies to offshore oil/gas installations in the Gulf … Continue reading Work flow: What do our props look like?
“A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are for.”
An Artist’s Canvas
Since the last post, Redemption’s hull has been sanded, primed, painted and her name stuck on. And let me tell you she looks fine as wine! I have been told … Continue reading An Artist’s Canvas
Coming to a Point
Its been a bit since my last post for a couple of reasons. First, I have had a irregular schedule at work that has kept me from getting much done on the boat worthy of a large update. Secondly, I am at the point in the repair process where everything has to come together at the same time. Fortunately, these two reasons have worked together harmoniously in my favor to allow me time to research, prepare, purchase, and organize my plan when I get home. Further in detail of the second, I am at the point of this refit where the boat is being painted(hull and bottom coatings), the new engine ordered, mast gear/lights ordered, and shaft/shaft seal ordered. Everything will be coming together at once when I get home. Hoping to install the new shaft and seal and finally, after months of drying out, put her back in the water. Fresh Awlgrip primer last week. After the boat is launched, the mast will get its renewal treatment. After a nice wash and wax, new halyards from Layline and sheaves from both Garhauer Marine and RigRite will be getting ran. As far as electrical, new navigation(Lopolight and Signal Mate) and spreader lights(Rigid Industries) will be installed along with fresh wiring. Also, a Maretron ultrasonic wind sensor will be adorning the top of the mast on its own pole out of the way of turbulent air from the sails and lights. The mast how it lays now. I’m going to try to arrange for a friend who is a rigger to come check out my mast stays and cabling to make sure, for the most part, everything is in good shape. I know this is something that will need to be addressed eventually, but not this year! The mast will be stepped and secured in place at our yard, which will be awesome once it is finally installed! The engine will come next but I’ll save that for another post later on!